Skip to main content

I Am Listening

 12 Items or Less  

Have you ever found yourself asking, "Does God really hear me when I pray?"  Followed by, "When is He going to answer me?" I want you to understand, I know God hears the prayers of His people, but from time to time, it would be great to get an express answer to our prayers, right? God, I have have 12 items or less, please help, I need the express prayer line please. Sounds a little ridiculous when I say it out loud, but, I know I have said it in my mind over and over again. As a Christian I understand that instant answers to prayer don't usually happen, however I have discovered that He does answer prayers in His time and sometimes I don't hear the answer because it's not the way I think it should be answered...

I believe God speaks to us in many different ways, through His Word, His Church, and through our Christian family. He was speaking to me, but I wasn't listening, I was hanging on to my dreams, not God's reality.

In 2016 a building located at 304 N. Franklin was donated to Her House Ministry. I remember the day Chelsea Wagoner and I first walked through the doors of the vacant building. When I say vacant I mean vacant, there wasn't any plumbing, heating or cooling system, or electrical, and studs served as the only walls throughout the building. Our hearts were so excited, Her House was becoming a reality, since becoming a 501c3 in 2013. The board of Her House continued to pray and ask for God's leading. Late in 2016 it was decided to lease a home and begin to serve as a refuge for pregnant homeless or displaced women. It was the boards intent to minister to our community while fundraising for both operational funds for our leased home and the renovation of donated building at 304 N. Franklin Street. In 2017-2019 Her House welcomed 3 mom's and 4 babies to our home. In 2019 the board decided not to renew the lease contract during lease negotiations. 

Recently, I received a phone call that jolted my thoughts in a different direction. I began to pray and reflect on the past few years and the journey of Her House. Shortly after receiving the call, a very wise, dear friend and sister in Christ joined me at 304 N. Franklin for a walk through and a time of prayer. As we walked through the first floor, it was free of damage. and the building secure. My friend was ahead of me, as I walked towards the stairs to the second floor I thought, " Hmm, ceiling tile on the floor, that's not good." Then I heard, "Cheryl, you've got to come and take a look at this." As I made way to the second floor I could see the flooring was water soaked, and most of the ceiling was on the floor, and then I saw it, sunlight pouring through a hole in the roof. A tree limb had punctured the roof, the building no longer safe, and beyond the thought of renovation. My friend could see I was sad, knowing I thought the donation of the property as a gift from God, she said, "Not all good things come from God, they can also come from our enemy to distract us from our mission." I am so glad she said the "hard thing" to me. It took a tree limb and a hole in a roof for me to see the light, thanking God for sending a message so clear. God, I'm listening. 



Looking back as I write this blog, God was answering prayers of direction, but I wasn't listening, my heart was set and my dream of hearing the the sounds of meal preparation coming from the kitchen followed by the murmur of conversation around a table at 304 N. Franklin filled my thoughts. My dream was going to happen!  During our time 317 N. Franklin, (Her House leased home) God was faithful to bless Her House with operational costs. Renovations were on hold. God was speaking, but I couldn't hear him, my own desires blocked His voice. I had heard the message from others of cost, to be realistic, and the list goes on. I was convinced 304 N. Franklin was the building for Her House. It wasn't and it isn't. Most of this year has been a time of lessons and learning. Isn't that what the life of a Christ follower is all about? Learning lessons, and do overs? 

I started out this blog with 12 Items or less, the Express Prayer Line. God did answer my prayers, He was trying to speak to me since 2017, however my mind was set and I made my dream my reality, not God's direction for the path to take. We serve a wonderful God, He allows us to make choices, but He also directs us back to the right path when we take a detour on the road He has planned for our lives. I needed to remember Her House is His Ministry, not mine.  God finally  got my attention, but it took a  hole in a roof for me to see the light of the path ahead. My wise cousin once told me when I was anxious over a decision concerning Her House. She said, "If your heart is in the right place to please God and you make a wrong decision, He will make it work out for His glory in His time." Wise woman, my cousin. 

Proverbs 8:11 says, "wisdom is better than rubies, And all the things one may desire cannot be compared to her."

 

2020 has been a year of waiting and asking for direction, and I am finally listening. 

So, where is Her House now? What is the next step?  The ministry is looking for a house to purchase, watch our Facebook Page on how you can financially support Her House and be involved our new location.  We have a house in mind and our goal is to raise $35,000.00. Help Her House provide our community with a safe place for mom's who are pregnant and without a place to call home. Her House is a place where relationships are formed, hope is renewed and the love of Jesus is shared. Her House, is where new life begins.

 

 

Her House, the journey continues. Will you join us? Please donate to Her House, it's easy, just select donate on our website. 

 

Glory, Honor and Praise to Our Great God and Savior Jesus       

 

Cheryl Thornsbrough

Co-Founder/President Her House Board

Comments

  1. Listen more , talk less and you will be a great success! This has been my mantra since joining the Army in 2006. I need to take my own advice and add listen carefully with an open heart, mind and spirit. This is a great post, and I hope that you continue to write in this blog. I have joined the team and am ready for the work involved in making your/all of our dreams come true. I believe in us and the Holy Spirit to continue to keep pace on this journey for Her House. We will get there because we are doing this work with a good and kind spirit and I continue to believe in all of us and have faith that in time our dream will indeed be a reality in Danville Illinois! My prayers continue for donations and volunteers for the board at Her House. Faithfully yours in Christ, MAJ Anne Sheahan USA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In The Shadows

A shadow, a silhouette or outline. Something dark, and overshadowing.  A shadow reflects shape or form and is without light. There are no defined characteristics or features that truly identify the subject that casts the shadow, only darkness can be seen.   Recently  two very important issues that face our country  and individual communities  were recognized in the month of January, Homelessness and The Sanctity of Human Life. Both of these topics are close to my heart, you could say they are my heart's passion. As far back as I can remember I have had a desire to serve among those who seem to be invisible to others, those who live in the shadows. God has placed me in positions of employment or life situations that has allowed me to witness the "why"  people often feel more comfortable living in the shadows. As a society I encourage each of us to pull back the dark curtain and see what has been hidden away.  Often we find men and woman who carry a load of guilt and shame.

A Blank Page

As I grow older, I have discovered "living" has a way of weaving unexpected twists and turns in my life.  There are those mountain top experiences filled with overwhelming joy and hope. I have discovered that many times mountain top experiences are followed by a descent to the valley below. Walking through the valley can be lined with heartaches, disappointment, pain, and isolation.  Although I am never sure what lies ahead of me as I travel through life, the mountain tops, and the valleys, I am certain that I do not travel alone.  Whether up on the mountain top or in the valley below, there is a rhythm, a heartbeat and melody that runs through all life.  The Creator and the created.  Be still, listen, watch closely and you will see it and feel it surrounding you.    I have been reading a book by Sharon W. Betters and Susan Hunt, "Aging With Grace." I have been reminded while reading this book of this fact, that more days are behind me than are ahead of me.  I u