Skip to main content

In The Shadows

A shadow, a silhouette or outline. Something dark, and overshadowing.  A shadow reflects shape or form and is without light. There are no defined characteristics or features that truly identify the subject that casts the shadow, only darkness can be seen. 

Recently  two very important issues that face our country  and individual communities  were recognized in the month of January, Homelessness and The Sanctity of Human Life. Both of these topics are close to my heart, you could say they are my heart's passion. As far back as I can remember I have had a desire to serve among those who seem to be invisible to others, those who live in the shadows. God has placed me in positions of employment or life situations that has allowed me to witness the "why"  people often feel more comfortable living in the shadows. As a society I encourage each of us to pull back the dark curtain and see what has been hidden away.  Often we find men and woman who carry a load of guilt and shame. Some suffer from early childhood trauma, substance abuse, mental illness and some have made life changing decisions they regretted, but can't let go of the guilt. In my 30 plus years of ministering to those who live in the shadows  driven there by shame or by  self imposed isolation, substance abuse or mental illness,  I have discovered those who wrestle with homelessness or life changing  choices long for a better life.  They long to hear a message of hope, to be loved, and accepted.  However, they can't get there on their own. They need to know they matter to God, that their life does having meaning and purpose.   

As a   Christ follower I am commanded to go and make disciples. To share the teachings of Jesus.  To shine a His light and to share His message of hope. It saddens my heart when I hear words or statements that reflect hatred and disdain towards others, especially among the brotherhood of believers.  Remember the song  "Oh be careful little feet where go? Oh be careful little hands what you do? Oh be careful little mouth what you say? Each verse would be repeated 2 times and then the chorus, for the Father up above is little down with love then repeat the verse again. This song from my childhood has a simple message. The words are easy to remember and the message is as clear today as it was when I first learned it from my Sunday School teacher. It's important to walk in the path the Lord provides, watch for where you can help and remember that words can hurt but they can also bring healing.   

The month of January can be difficult for women who have had abortions and men who have participated or lost a child to abortion. They are often silent, suffering alone, hiding behind their wall of guilt and shame.  They could be a seated next to you in church or in the row behind you, feeling alone and unworthy. Woman who have had abortions attend ladies Bible studies and small group gatherings. It could be one of your best friends and she is  afraid to share with you her deepest, darkest secret of shame, regret and guilt, she is afraid of rejection.  Statistics reflect that 1 out of 3  woman seated in church on Sunday morning has had an abortion. They don't share their stories for fear of rejection and find it safer to live in the the shadows weighed down by guilt and shame. Jesus died for all of our sins, past, present and future, even the sin of abortion.  

Jesus was asked this, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. ' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." This scripture is found in the Bible's New Testament,  Matthew 22:36-40. In these verses  Jesus tells us to  love  God and love others.   This can be difficult and challenging, loving others regardless of who they are, what they believe, the sins they have committed or continue to commit. On my own it's hard to do, but when I love God first, He makes the impossible, possible. 

The year was 1994, I was working as a counselor and floor manager at YWCA homeless shelter. This beautiful woman came into shelter, she had a wonderful smile.  During our conversation I noticed  she began to squint her eyes, you know,  the way you do when you need glasses. I asked her, " Do you wear glasses?" she replied, "yes." I then said to her, "Why didn't you say something? We can help get you a pair of glasses and you will be able to see more clearly." She shook her head and replied, "I have been without glasses for a long time, I am afraid that if I had a pair of glasses now I would be more depressed than I am, my life is easier when things are blurred."  Her story ended in success. She broke through the depression and she requested a new pair of glasses. When she put them on, her beautiful smile mirrored the world she began to see with her new glasses.  Sometimes living in the shadows is  a safer place live. Tucked away, safe from condescending eyes and hurtful comments. It's easier to build walls to keep people out, then to let people in to see your brokenness. But I  have found that through building relationships and earning trust, a life can be changed through the message of hope, the hope only Jesus brings.  

Why do people choose to stay shadows? Are they afraid of change? or are they afraid of rejection? I am sure there are many reasons why folks stay in shadows and some may never talk about the "why" or leave the darkness that surrounds them. 

It's not easy to step out of your comfort zone, stretching and reaching out to others who feel trapped in the shadows.  Think about this, the opposite of a shadow, or darkness is the brightness of light.  Jesus tells His followers in the  5th Chapter of Matthew, you are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a stand and, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 

Be the light in a dark world. 

Cheryl Thornsbrough 

President & Co-founder Her House Ministry







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Listening

 12 Items or Less   Have you ever found yourself asking, "Does God  really  hear me when I pray?"  Followed by, "When is He  going to answer me ?" I want you to understand, I know God hears the prayers of His people, but from time to time, it would be great to get an express answer to our prayers, right? God, I have have 12 items or less, please help, I need the express prayer line please. Sounds a little ridiculous when I say it out loud, but, I know I have said it in my mind over and over again. As a Christian I understand that instant answers to prayer don't usually happen, however I have discovered that He does answer prayers in His time and sometimes I don't hear the answer because it's not the way I think it should be answered... I believe God speaks to us in many different ways, through His Word, His Church, and through our Christian family. He was speaking to me, but I wasn't listening, I was hanging on to my dreams, not God's reality.

A Blank Page

As I grow older, I have discovered "living" has a way of weaving unexpected twists and turns in my life.  There are those mountain top experiences filled with overwhelming joy and hope. I have discovered that many times mountain top experiences are followed by a descent to the valley below. Walking through the valley can be lined with heartaches, disappointment, pain, and isolation.  Although I am never sure what lies ahead of me as I travel through life, the mountain tops, and the valleys, I am certain that I do not travel alone.  Whether up on the mountain top or in the valley below, there is a rhythm, a heartbeat and melody that runs through all life.  The Creator and the created.  Be still, listen, watch closely and you will see it and feel it surrounding you.    I have been reading a book by Sharon W. Betters and Susan Hunt, "Aging With Grace." I have been reminded while reading this book of this fact, that more days are behind me than are ahead of me.  I u