Skip to main content

A Lesson From The Birds

 "Don't try to force fit today into yesterdays mold, instead ask Me (Jesus) to open your eyes so you can find all I have prepared for you in this precious day of life~                                                     From Sarah Young, Jesus Calling  Enjoying Peace in His Presence 2004


The snow began to fall on Sunday, by Monday a blanket of white covered the ground as far as my eye could see. While washing dishes, looking out my kitchen window I became aware our bird feeder was empty. I noticed birds lined up in the trees, taking their turn at swooping down, landing on the perch of an empty feeder. The temperature outside was a bone chilling cold, it was below zero, the birds were cold, they were hungry, and without food. They knew where they had found food before, but the feeder was empty.  I quickly decided that I would get on my heavy coat, pull on my boots, grab my hat and gloves and then head out to purchase some birdseed. Just as I was getting ready to warm up the car my sweet neighbor sent me a text, she was checking with me to see I needed anything from the store. Perfect timing, don't you think?  I told her I was getting ready to go to the store to purchase birdseed, her reply was swift, I will pick some up for you when I am in town. 

This morning as I look out my back window I am in awe of the beauty of the snow, how it billows and bursts with the movement of the wind. I watch as large clumps of snow fall from the branches of the trees that line the woods behind our home. Nature seems quiet this morning, as quiet as the snow that follows the rim that surrounds the icy pond, my heart is aware of the beauty of the silence of the snow. The hawk, who usually stops by to perch and peer over the pond has not been seen or the Bald Eagle who glides over the pond in search of prey has yet to take flight this morning. However, there is an exception to this silent motionless morning. As I sit watching out the window from my dinning room table I could see them, they were lining up, the Cardinal, the Blue jay, and others waiting to take their turn at the bird feeder, yes, even the Blue jay allowed others to go before him. I guess he knew they were hungry too. Quietly I sat, careful not to move. Peering out the large sliding glass door window, unaware of my watching eyes the birds continued on their mission to eat. Some were resting on the shepherd's hook, others lined the tree limbs surrounding the feeder, all were waiting, just waiting for their turn to be fed. The word that came to my mind first was Jesus, the Good Shepherd. He is my resting place. A place of safety, a place of care and fulfillment. I sometimes go through the day unaware of His presence or taking Him for granted, but He is there, waiting, just waiting for me, to come and talk with Him. The second word, was community. How God's love is centered around community. The birds needed to be in community with one another in order for all to be fed, people created in the image of God need community for support and encouragement and God longs for community with us. Jesus, community and the last word was provision. I started this blog with the story of my sweet neighbor contacting me at just the right moment, perfect timing. I have a friend who calls this a "God wink."  God's perfect provision. Of course the birds didn't know I was on a mission for them, but God did. You see Jesus is my Good Shepherd, He watches over me and takes care of my needs, He surrounds me with a community of people who support me while providing for my needs, yes even the need for birdseed. Like the birds, I too, rest on the Shepherd's Hook. 

"Open your eyes so you can find all I have prepared for you in this precious day of life."  Precious day of life. Each day is a gift, today was a reminder to open my eyes and see. To watch for precious moments in time just waiting to be lived. To remember the lesson from birds at the feeder, Jesus, community and provision. 

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is, Psalm 27:8 My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming." 

He is always there watching and waiting, providing for our needs. 

Cheryl Thornsbrough








                                                                                                         

                                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Listening

 12 Items or Less   Have you ever found yourself asking, "Does God  really  hear me when I pray?"  Followed by, "When is He  going to answer me ?" I want you to understand, I know God hears the prayers of His people, but from time to time, it would be great to get an express answer to our prayers, right? God, I have have 12 items or less, please help, I need the express prayer line please. Sounds a little ridiculous when I say it out loud, but, I know I have said it in my mind over and over again. As a Christian I understand that instant answers to prayer don't usually happen, however I have discovered that He does answer prayers in His time and sometimes I don't hear the answer because it's not the way I think it should be answered... I believe God speaks to us in many different ways, through His Word, His Church, and through our Christian family. He was speaking to me, but I wasn't listening, I was hanging on to my dreams, not God's reality.

A Blank Page

As I grow older, I have discovered "living" has a way of weaving unexpected twists and turns in my life.  There are those mountain top experiences filled with overwhelming joy and hope. I have discovered that many times mountain top experiences are followed by a descent to the valley below. Walking through the valley can be lined with heartaches, disappointment, pain, and isolation.  Although I am never sure what lies ahead of me as I travel through life, the mountain tops, and the valleys, I am certain that I do not travel alone.  Whether up on the mountain top or in the valley below, there is a rhythm, a heartbeat and melody that runs through all life.  The Creator and the created.  Be still, listen, watch closely and you will see it and feel it surrounding you.    I have been reading a book by Sharon W. Betters and Susan Hunt, "Aging With Grace." I have been reminded while reading this book of this fact, that more days are behind me than are ahead of me.  I u

In The Shadows

A shadow, a silhouette or outline. Something dark, and overshadowing.  A shadow reflects shape or form and is without light. There are no defined characteristics or features that truly identify the subject that casts the shadow, only darkness can be seen.   Recently  two very important issues that face our country  and individual communities  were recognized in the month of January, Homelessness and The Sanctity of Human Life. Both of these topics are close to my heart, you could say they are my heart's passion. As far back as I can remember I have had a desire to serve among those who seem to be invisible to others, those who live in the shadows. God has placed me in positions of employment or life situations that has allowed me to witness the "why"  people often feel more comfortable living in the shadows. As a society I encourage each of us to pull back the dark curtain and see what has been hidden away.  Often we find men and woman who carry a load of guilt and shame.